Cucumber and Cream Cheese Mousse Cake
Cucumber and Mint Mousse
Cucumber syrup (Monin)
Non-dairy topping cream
Cream of tartar
a Superfine flour
To make the sponge:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C, grease a baking pan with butter andline with parchment paper.
2. In a clean bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cooking oil, cucumber juice, green coloring and superfine flour until well blended.
3. In another clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add in sugar a little at a time. Continue beating until stiff. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, fold in the rest of the egg white and mix well.
4. Finally, pour batter into baking pan, shake the pan lightly to get rid of any air bubbles. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until cooked. Cool the cake on a cooling rack and cut out 12 sponges using 5 – 6cm diameter ring mould.
To make the cucumber mousse:
1. In a bowl, mix cucumber juice with cucumber syrup, peppermint essence, castor sugar and green coloring, keep in refrigerator to chill.
2. In a small glass bowl, add gelatin to 3 tbsp of water, heat inside microwave until dissolved.
3. Mix gelatin solution with cucumber mixture. Keep stirring till combined.
4. In another bowl, start whisking topping cream till frothy, slowly mix cucumber mixture with topping cream.
5. Use a spatula to transfer the whipped cream mixture into a pipping bag.
Cream Cheese Mousse
Lemon, juice and zest
Whipping cream, whipped
To make the cream cheese mousse
1. Beat together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.
2. In another bowl, beat egg yolk and sugar over a pot of simmering water till creamy.
3. Mix together the lemon juice, lemon zest and gelatin powder and melt in the microwave.
4. Fold into the cream cheese mixture. Lastly, fold in whipping cream.
5. Fill cream cheese filling into pipping bag.
1. Pipe cream cheese mixture into moulds to 1/4 height of the ring mold.
2. Lightly place a piece of cut-out sponge onto the cream cheese.
3. Finally, pipe cucumber and mint mousse onto sponge.
4. Keep chilled for at least 3 – 5 hours and serve chilled.